NEW OWNERS HAVE BIG PLANS FOR THE OLD TUXEDO SCHOOL PROPERTY

NEW OWNERS HAVE BIG PLANS FOR THE OLD TUXEDO SCHOOL PROPERTY NEW OWNERS HAVE BIG PLANS FOR THE OLD TUXEDO SCHOOL PROPERTY

EVERYTHING FROM FAMILY CONDOS TO AN INNOVATION CENTER    

By Larry Freeman   

It is apparently a “done deal” now...the old Tuxedo Elementary School property has been sold. WHKP reported a while back that the deal was in the “due diligence” process, which now has apparently been completed.

The old building, re-designed after a fire some 80 years ago by historic local architect Erle Stillwell, is now in the process of becoming the “Tuxedo School of Innovation and Preservation"...,and that should be pleasing to the family of the late Clifton Shipman who owned that property prior to its sale.

According to information being circulated on social media, the new owners describe their vision for the old school as “...a lifetime project that will last a little longer.”

The owners say (on social media) that they are rehabilitating the old school “...into a family homestead and community space.”

They say their future plans for the old school are family condos, guest rooms, open play areas and learning environments. a commercial kitchen, cafeteria, theater, Innovation Center...which will include a machine shop, wood shop, 3D printing, welding, forge restoration, loaner tools and space.

Plans also reportedly include a ball field on the property, sustainable farming, a basketball court, and a meeting space for Scouts and other organizations.

According to a post on social media, “family will be at the heart of it all.”

The old Tuxedo School sits on just under seven acres and dates back to 1924. There have been no classes in the facility since 1994. The old school burned in November of 1929 and in 1930, acclaimed architect Erle Stillwell contracted with the county to re-design and re-build the school.

The old Tuxedo School originally brought students together from Double Springs, Cedar Springs, and Green River schools to form the Tuxedo Graded School, which included high school until high school students began attending Flat Rock High School in 1935 and later East Henderson High School.

The old school and property is located on U.S. Highway 225, which was the former U.S. Highway 25 through Tuxedo.